Tuesday, 14 February 2017

TAMPONS - Put Them In Public Toilets!

Once upon a time there was a girl. This girl was working in a big office of a big company in a big city. One day she was sat in the big office in a big meeting when she felt the familiar but oh so unwelcome tell tale signs that something wicked this way was coming. It wasn’t an evil stepmother, a scary giant or a wicked witch. It was something much worse. The twisting knot in her stomach and dull ache in her head could only mean one thing, her period was about to arrive. She hastily made her excuses and ran to the ladies room, trying to keep her back to the wall just in case. She locked herself in the cubicle, pulled down her pants and realised that it was too late. She frantically looked in her handbag, in all of the pockets, practically tipping the thing upside down. But she could not find what she was looking for. There goes another pair of pants to the trash. She had no tampons, no pants and now no dignity….shit.

In March 2016 David Cameron confirmed that the government would abolish the “tampon tax”. Campaigners argued against the luxury tax that was placed on tampons, some rather cleverly taking to Twitter to express how luxurious they thought tampons were. Obviously all us gals want for a pamper sesh is a glass of wine, a face mask and a bit of cotton wool between our legs to stem the blood flow, so glamorous. I could go on for a long time about how ludicrous the tampon tax was, but what I really want to talk about why there are not tampons in public bathrooms. The country has decided that this item is no longer a luxury. This took a lot longer than it should have, and no one should have thought otherwise to begin with, but we’re finally in agreement. So why are public bathrooms not stocked with tampons? I am sure that there are many girls out there whom can relate to the above story. Yes periods can be regular and they can be warning signs a few days in advance. But sometimes we just ain’t that lucky and a period can creep up on us in the most unfortunate of places. 

One of my friends had her first period come at the end of a school day. She went to the ladies room before catching the bus home to find out she’d started her period…in a skirt. With no tampons in the bathroom she had to grab a bit of tissue and endure two uncomfortable and anxiety ridden bus rides home. I know another girl who woke up to find her period had started when she was in bed with her friends. I even know one unlucky girl who was at a carnival wearing white trousers when her period came. Mother nature is not someone who can be controlled or sometimes even predicted. She can capture you completely unawares and unprepared. Every day there will likely be one girl or woman experiencing a situation like these. We could save ourselves a lot of embarrassment and discomfort if toilets just stocked the essentials, it is not a big ask.

Toilet paper is widely accepted as being necessary for public bathrooms. No one would ever bother to dispute that fact. But how on earth did we manage to draw a line between toilet roll and tampons. Both are for natural bodily functions that cannot be prevented. Imagine for a moment that you had to remember to take toilet roll with you wherever you went. Out on a date, or to work. Now imagine that you forgot to take it with you but you just couldn’t hold it any more. Except I feel tampons are even more essential as the problem doesn’t exactly go away once you leave the bathroom.

It’s not just the fact that sometimes women are not readily armed with tampons. Even when we have them to hand things are not always plain sailing. I work in a busy office, I sit in the furthest seat away from the ladies room and I sit next to two men. Whenever I am on my period I have to slyly remove my tampon from my bag, which can be hard given that most of them are wrapped in the noisiest fricking wrappers ever (seriously, what genius designed that?). Then I have to put it in my pocket unnoticed or sneakily place it in my sleeve. Let me tell you, that walk seems three times as long when I have a tampon tucked up my sleeve, on edge that it’s gonna drop out in front of everyone.

I am not ashamed of having my period, but that hardly means I want to parade it around in front of a room full of people. Just like I don’t want to advertise anything else that goes on behind my cubicle door. Some things are just private. I wonder how many men would be comfortable walking that long path with a toilet roll in hand. I know there are some women who don’t give a damn and will walk to the loo with a box of tampons firmly in hand and not a care in the world. However I also know there are many women who are not so carefree and who would feel extremely self conscious if everyone knew they were on their period. I think we deserve the right to a bit of discretion if we so please.

So since we’re all in agreement that tampons sure as hell ain’t a luxury, and we can all appreciate that mother nature rocks up whenever she damn well pleases, can we now put tampons in public toilets? Can us girls get our happily ever after?


Share:

5 comments

  1. I agree completely! I usually sneak some into my bra in the morning incase I don't have time to go to my bag in the office/it would look weird me taking my bag/worst of all I'm not at my desk at all!!!

    www.claudialovescats.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I stuff them in my bra too, thought I was the only one! xx

      Delete
  2. While in Madrid I popped in to a restaurant that had a little wooden boxes in each cubicle. Box included: variety and I mean a real variety in sizes, tastes, colours of condoms, sanitary pads, refreshing wet tissues, and tampons. Honestly, in that second I knew that the tip is going to be on a bigger side because I felt that restaurant takes cares of me. Little thing but really made my day! Iga www.igaberry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why can't everywhere be like that! It's really not a luxury, it's a necessity! xx

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a great place. What's the name of the restaurant?

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig