Sunday, 14 May 2017

My Alcohol Free Weekends


Let me start this post by saying I have not given up alcohol completely and nor do I want to. I don’t think I could say a final goodbye to fruity gin. However I am trying to have more alcohol free weekends. That means no fruity gins, no cold pints and consequently no cigarettes. I used to be a full time smoker but I have managed to cut down to only smoking when I drink. I know it’s not perfect but it’s taken a lot of will power to get to this point so I am extremely proud.

One of the reasons I have decided to have more alcohol free weekends is that have no willpower. If I go out for a couple of drinks after work then I will end up at Chinese karaoke singing ‘common people’ at 3am. It’s either not going out for drinks or that, there is rarely an in between. So to save myself from spending a small fortune each week I thought it best to say no a few times. Sure I have missed some good nights but my bank balance is smiling a lot more. A smiling bank balance means more shopping on ASOS. 


My main reason for cutting down on alcohol is that it was seriously messing with my anxiety. No matter if I just had a few pints at the bar or crawled into bed at 5am, the next day I was waking up a big old ball of anxiety. I would wake up extremely early for someone who was just out drinking, usually between 6am and 8am. And with big black holes in my memory my mind would go into overdrive imagining all of the horrible and embarrassing things I could have done. I’m not an angry drunk or anything, the worst thing I usually do is say something opinionated or dance like a fool. But my mind was imagining me running around town causing all sorts of mayhem. And that feeling lasts allllll day. Watching videos of animals on YouTube or binging on Gilmore Girls helps a little, but ultimately the only cure is time. 

Now more and more of my weekends are being spent alcohol free. This means lots of nights in eating pizza and watching Netflix. I am also waking up early in the morning fresh faced and ready to go, so I am actually able to make the most of my day. I have done a bit of exploring around Manchester and nearby towns. I have taken lots more blog pics and actually fitted in some blogging over the weekend. I basically have become a much more productive version of myself. 

As I said, I am not giving up drink entirely. I have a holiday coming up as well as a few nights out planned, so the GnTs will be flowing. For now I am enjoying my alcohol free weekends. More money, more productivity and less anxiety all equals a happy Laura.


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig