Tuesday, 13 June 2017

272,262 Steps Across Europe

If you follow me on my social media channels then you will more than likely have noticed that I recently went on a little trip around Europe. This is something I have been wanting to do since I can remember. I love the romance of backpacking my way around half a dozen cities, immersing myself as fully as possible in a culture before whisking myself off to the next place in the early hours of the morning. I walked everywhere while I was there, my feet were just aching messes by the end of most days. I became a little addicted to checking my step count on my phone, hence the title. 272,262 steps in total from day 1 to day 15! That averages at just over 18,000 steps a day, well over the daily step goal! 

So obviously I have a million and one blog posts planned from this trip and I cannot wait to sit down and write them all. But it’s gonna take some time to edit all the pics and I want to get my new site live before I put most of them up. In the mean time I’m just going to give you a brief run through of where we went and what we got up to. So grab your backpack, chuck on your trainers and follow me around Europe….



Berlin


The first stop on the journey was Berlin. I had heard a bag of mixed reviews about Berlin, it seemed like people either loved it or they hated it. Consequently I was apprehensive and perhaps not overly excited to go there. My verdict? It’s actually pretty amazing! I really enjoyed learning the history of the city as well as seeing some of the beautiful sites. I went from reading about the holocaust in a raw and emotional manner to wandering around the flea markets and watching karaoke in the park. 


Prague


Ah Prague. What to say about Prague. It is a beautiful and historical city brimming with character. You can get lost in the old town, make the climb to explore the castle or pop on by to the more modern Lennon’s wall. I really recommend making your way up to the castle, it offers the best view of the sprawling city full of orange tiled roofs. Although it was a really beautiful place I would say that you don’t really need more than a couple of nights there. There’s not a huge amount to do compared to some of the neighbouring destinations, but it is worth a visit.


Vienna


Vienna has been on my to-go list for some time. And actually it is still on my to-go list, because I really didn't have much time there. I arrived in Vienna late and the last minute accommodation we had to book was not quite what I hoped for. Our Air BnB person dropped out at the last minute and with limited choice I ended up staying in what can only be described as a room in a student flat. Not that romantic. However the city itself is full of beautiful town houses, there’s plenty of museums and of course all of the grand palaces. I studied Psychology at University so naturally I had to go to the Sigmund Freud museum. I also managed to make it to a concert at a palace as well as a party by the canal.


Budapest


Okay so this one I was really looking forward to. There have been less than a handful of cities that I have fallen in love with at first site, and this is one of them. As soon as I stepped out of the underground station and into the heart of the bustling city centre I felt right at home. There is so just much to do and see, it’s a shame I only had two nights. There’s also an impressive bar scene at night. Pop to the Jewish Quarter and hit the ruins bars, you won’t be disappointed!


Split


This has been number one on my travel bucket list for about 4 years now, so you can imagine how excited I was to finally go. And I was not disappointed! Croatia is a beautiful, beautiful city. The old town is just phenomenal, it’s like being transported back through time. Or perhaps to another world. Croatia is well known for being the site of many Game of Thrones scenes. I actually popped over to one site which I will talk about more in a separate post. I also made it to the Krka national park, name after the river Krka and just a short distance from Split. This was one of my favourite parts of the whole Europe trip. The waterfalls are absolutely gorgeous and even though there are a fair few tourists it was peaceful.


Zadar


The final destination on our Europe backpacking trip and another Croatian city. Like Prague there isn’t a whole host of thing to do here. With it being the oldest continuously inhabited city in Croatia there are a few relics to marvel over as well as the cobbled streets of the old town to get lost in. There is also the famous sea organ and the Greetings to the Sun, both a sensory delight. My favourite part of Zadar was simply watching the sun set by the sea. The pastel blue, pink and purple colours were literally breath taking and I felt so calm watching.  It was the perfect way to spend my last night in Europe.

I loved my time in Europe. It would have been good to have spent a couple more nights in some places but I also enjoyed the fast pace of it all. Never settling too long in one place, always being on the go. Although I I didn’t always enjoy lugging around the backpack because I seriously over packed. As I said I have lots more posts lined up where i will be going into more detail on a few of the cities, sharing stories and offering advice. I hope you liked my round up post, please leave a comment in the comment section below. I would love to hear if you’ve done something similar? Or if you have any holidays lined up?

Share:

2 comments

  1. So i want to go go to all of these places even though I have been to some just because of this post! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to hear it :) you should definitely try Berlin in Summer! xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig