Tuesday, 18 July 2017

A Couple of Light Reads



I spent a few months barely picking up a book, which is really unlike me.

I usually read on my commute to work, but I got into the habit of scrolling through social media instead. When I realised this it made me sad, so I decided to turn things around.

Here are a couple of light reads that I recently picked up.

The Peculiar Life Of A Lonely Postman by Denis Theriault

This book is just as peculiar as its name. 

The story follows Bilodo, a postman who prefers to keep socially distant from others. One day Bilodo starts to take home some of the mail he handles, steaming open the letters. 

He becomes enthralled with the correspondence of two people who communicate to each other in haikus. One of the writers is a man named Grandpre, who is on Bilodos delivery route. The other is Segolene, a teacher from Guadeloupe. 

Segolene becomes the focus of Bilodo’s obsession, and when Grandpre dies in a car accident, Bildo is quick to take his place. He begins to write back to Segolenes letters, quickly learning the art of haiku and falling even more in love with Segolene. 

The book is a quick read, but still manages to provoke a lot of deep thoughts. Although the book was rather quirky, it had a dark undertone. It is a strange little love story that left me feeling a little sad, but still a story I have recommended others to read. 

I’ve yet to buy the sequel, The Postmans Fiance, but I will make sure I do.

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse

The boyfriend picked this book up for me as I had told him I wanted to learn more about Buddhism, but I just didn’t know where to start.

This story follows Siddhartha, a Brahmin’s son. Siddhartha is a brilliant,handsome and intelligent young man who is not satisfied with the simple life he lives, and leaves his home on a journey of self discovery.

Although his intentions start out spiritual, he is soon involved in a world of wealth and pleasure. After this all gets too much Siddhartha leaves, and comes across a river where he meets a ferryman. 

He befriends the ferryman, who tells him that he can learn much from the river.

I’ve done a bit of research since reading the book (I looked at wikipedia) and apparently Herman Hesse spent his time in a semi-reclusive state, fully immersing himself in the teaching of hindus and buddhists. 

The trouble he had was that he had not experienced the nirvana that Siddhartha was seeking, so it took him a long time to finish the second half of the book.

The book is spiritual and deep, and answered the questions I didn’t think to ask.


What books have you been reading lately?




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig